Tuesday, March 19, 2013

If You're Somewhat Insane, you Might just be a Writer.

Hello,

Had a long day rewriting/editing a very dark and sinister section of SILENCING SAPPHIRE. Have come to realize that since I begun writing the Sapphire series, along with mass research on serial killers and sociopaths, I do the following:

Check my whole car, especially the backseat, for serial killers... sometimes more than once.
Picked the sound track from the TV-series Dexter as my ring tone.
Think random people--who may or may not have given me an odd look while passing by--are killers.
Now own non-fiction books for leisure reading entitled: The Sociopath Next Door. Which I read in the morning with my cereal and coffee.
Think about zombies, at least once a day...not that it relates to my book series, but still...

And that's just the beginning of the list.
I'm not saying that I was completely normal before I started the series; just less strange. I think most writers are in some way, shape, or form a little bit odd. It's possible that the slight oddness which is handed to us sometime during life or before birth is the very reason why we crave putting pen to paper.

I've come to appreciate that peculiar oddness of mine over the past few years, embracing it even. Because where would I be without it? What would I be without it? Well, perhaps mentally sane, but who needs sanity when you get to write about fictional character who are much more messed up in the head than you are?

Taking away the pure love/obsession of story, odds are, if you regularly feel as if you're the one on the outside looking in, studying people instead of interacting with them; if you often find yourself thinking about the end-of-the-world scenarios at fun celebratory events like parties and wedding; or if you're just plainly the person who sticks out like a sore thumb because your inner monologue sometimes leaks out: you might just be a writer, my friend.

Xoxo,
Mia


No comments:

Post a Comment